Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Week 9: Manga and Scott Pilgrim


Like I’ve said before, I was never much of a super hero comic fan. Even now, the prospect of reading the Watchmen, a classic in the eyes of many, does not excite me. But truthfully, I still am a fan of manga, despite my fervor for the genre having declined as I progressed into college. I was once into many shounen comics such as Naruto and Bleach, which I enjoyed for the cohesive way that the manga-kas use their characters and pit them against each other. Then again, it was never the action sequences that kept me interested, but the character dynamic. Which is probably why I veered off into shoujo territory, where character dynamics shine in very relatable settings (for the most part).

Now, I only recently got into Scott Pilgrim last year, when the movie came out. I had never heard about it before, and I’ve still yet to finish the books. But what I have seen and read I do like very much. I enjoy all the video game references, especially in the movie when the Fairy Fountain theme from the Zelda series began to play in Scott’s dream. I like how realistic it is in how the characters interact with each other, but also enjoy the fantasy aspects that come alive when the plot starts picking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment