Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Week 13: Watchmen


Perhaps the best way to describe this book is a more mature version of the Incredibles. I personally found the idea of outlawing superheroes to be absurd, simply because the people with superpowers would obviously have the power to rebel. But I digress. Watchmen is not exactly the kind of comic I like to read. I am drawn to simplistic styles and a more comedic take on drama, and though Watchmen had its share of comedy (for example, the sex scene between Nite Owl and Silk Spectre was awkwardly comedic, and Rorschach being awkward in general), it was much darker than I usually enjoy reading. Despite this, it was still entertaining. The concept of vigilantism does interest me, but the capes and fanfare does not. Watchmen gave me capes and fanfare, but in the context of what has changed about the idea of a superhero, which I thought was a more interesting take.

No comments:

Post a Comment